Liz's Biz-nis

The Biz-nis of Life

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Mary Alice Green Redd Grover


After church today I went with my former neighbor, Ruthie to the nursing home to visit her mother-in-law, Mary. When I lived next door to them Mary was in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. She could physically do all things for herself and mentally could be categorized as just forgetful. Now, she can do nothing physically for herself and cannot be understood when she talks. She doesn't recognize her own family members, much less me, but it warms my heart to see her and remember the many hours we spent together laughing and talking as neighbors.
This made me think of my own mother who I have felt a deeper, more intense level of gratitude for lately.

There's so much to choose from but if ya'll would humor me I'd like to share a small list of what makes Mary Alice Sr. (she hates that!) a most magnificent mother.

1. Anytime I call her and say, "What are you doin' today?" She answers,"Nothin' why?" This is code for "There's plenty I should be doing but none of it is more important than what you're about to ask me for help with."

2. She has eternal perspective ALL OF THE TIME. I don't even think it's possible for her to see things in a temporal way, even for a second. She's always reminding me of the big picture that is at work in all of our lives, including those of my children. This is a tremendous help.

3. She thinks I'm funny. And nothing brings me greater pleasure than making her laugh.

4. She chose the gospel. She joined the church as a nineteen year old. She was the first in her family to do so. She left a situation that was harmful to her three daughters and became a single mother which could not have been easy. She diligently took us to church, read the scriptures and prayed with us, and held weekly family home evenings. This provided us with a joyful childhood filled with the light of the gospel.

5. She chose Sam Grover. He is a wonderful man who honors his priesthood and serves his loved ones diligently. Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if my mom had ended up staying with my "other" dad. I think I know the answer and I don't think it's pretty. She often feels guilt for having married said father and then divorcing and remarrying. She feels there were hardships in our lives that could have been avoided had she got it right the first time. I believe it all occured just as it should have according to the Lord's master plan for us. I'm grateful for all of it, even the hard parts. The family relationships we enjoy now are like heaven on earth and part of the legacy she has created.


I'm grateful the Lord saw fit to bless me with Mary Alice Green Redd Grover for my mother. If I manage to be even half the mother she is, there's hope for me yet!

11 comments:

Sarah said...

That would make mom so happy if only she read blogs. I second everything you wrote.

Natalee said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom. She is a strong lady.

Court said...

I'm grateful to your Mom, too. She raised three of my favorite people.

Lori Hurst said...

Your mom is a wonderful person - I have always looked up to her. By the way - does her name really have 'Green Redd' in it? So festive this time of year!

Laura said...

I agree with everything you said about your mom. She is an amazing woman, and has always been such a wonderful example to me.

Natalee said...

Your mom is a babe. I can see all of you in her. I also love the picture of Harris. He is a cutie.

Shel said...

Awwww, very touching. I too am grateful to your mom, you Grover girls Rock! She did a most fantabulous job!

Jennifer said...

There is nobody like Mom. She gave us an environment in which we are not afraid to be who we are. Sarah's right - she's missing out on the blog love.

Carol Beck said...

what a cute pic of your mom! she is a special person. when there was the murder in our neighborhood there was a message on our answering machine asking if we were ok and it was from your mom. nobody else called. actually probably not that many people even know the neighborhood that we moved to but she did!

kimberly said...

Aww! That was incredibly sweet of you.

I love your mom, too! She was my favorite seminary teacher, you know. And she raised a fantastic family!

Leslie said...

What a lovely note about your Mom. Makes me miss mine! Thanks for taking the time to write this up.