Liz's Biz-nis

The Biz-nis of Life

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Praise to "Tha Man"!


This is Papaw, a.k.a the crazy old man from China. While we grandkids thought that title and accompanying song were fitting for him, he was actually a crazy old man from Amarillo. Something in the water there turned all his teeth brown when he was a boy, and this is one of the features I love and miss the most. That, and his enduring humor. He was always cracking jokes and wanting to make us laugh. Some of our laughs were courtesy laughs, but our smiles were always genuine. He was a great, great man. He was also the king of Thanksgiving! There were always helpful and willing hands nearby to do as he instructed (my mom) but he really did just about all of the cooking. He made a cornbread stuffing from scratch that is ri-dunk-ulous! His turkey was bought fresh every year from a fancy, shmancy downtown supermarket and he would brine it for 24 hours. There was never enough of that turkey! He made pies, potatoes, giblet gravy (he was the only one who would eat that!) and so much more. As the years wore on and we became adults we started to think about how our wonderful feast would be quite affected by his not being there. We would tell him our concerns! "Pap, what the heck are we gonna do on Thanksgiving when you're gone!" This would tickle him immensely. He would tell us that we were gonna be mighty hungry! So then a vote of sorts was taken (this means Boss Hogg spoke) and it was determined that I would learn the whole meal under Papaw's watchful eye. (They all know I relish this honor. Plus, my mom really could do the whole meal but she humors me.) So I began learning. He patiently taught me and made lots of not-that-funny jokes along the way. But the greatest lesson I learned from him was what took place after the whole meal was cooked and served. He would wait until everyone had a full plate and was eating and he would just sit and watch. He wouldn't even get his food for the first fifteen minutes! And as everyone enjoyed the fruits of his labor he sat there with the biggest, brown grin you ever saw! This will be our first Thanksgiving without him.
We'll miss you Pappy. I hope I do ya proud!

19 comments:

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

What the french, toast? Who removed their comment? SARAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah said...

Of course you will do him proud. No one else but you should do it. Whenever I miss him so much it hurts, I always want to be around you. I feel closer to him when I am with you. You two are kindred spirits as they say. Maybe that is why you and I have always gotten along so well. I'm just like Mamaw and you're just like Papaw.
(I think I just complimented you and insulted myself.)

Sarah said...

Excuse me, but I removed my comment b/c I was logged in as you so I could post that picture of Papaw for you. It looked like you were complimenting yourself.

Alisha said...

ya'll are hilarious.

Natalee said...

Your Papaw was such a great man. He will surely be missed. Liz you are a fantastic cook and I know everything will be amazing. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Melanie said...

Liz, your post gave me chills (in a good way). I loved it. I remember your Papaw when he was living with you and how he always seemed to just have been a part of your home and family forever (which I guess he has been in a way). Good luck making that dinner for everyone. I am seriously impressed.

Shel said...

What a great tribute. I'm sure you all will have a fantabulous feast!

Have a Blessed Thanksgiving!

Mary Arlene said...

Of course you will do a wonderful job and Papaw will be very proud. I hope while you cook you tell dirty jokes and pop my hand when I sneak food prematurly. Papaw told me I did this because I have no patience and I must be saving it all up. (sound like anyone else)

Sarah said...

nope. sounds just like you.

Laura said...

Your papaw was a great man. We always loved parties at your parents' house because we knew your papaw would probably cook something great!

There are some people who really make your life better just because you knew them. He was one of those people.

Court said...

Wish I could be a fly on the wall this Thanksgiving at your parents' house! I am sending good cooking karma your way.

jamie said...

i loved this. i think it's so great when people have fond memories of their grandparents because it's something i lack in my life, but always wish i had. thanksgiving dinner sounds yummy!

Leslie said...

When I am missing my loved ones that have passed on, I like to reflect on the spirit world and what it really is. Brigham Young said that the spirit world is actually here on this earth and that If the Lord would permit it, and it was His will that it should be done, you could see the spirits that have departed from this world, as plainly as you now see bodies with your natural eyes.

There are times when this knowledge has brought me such peace. There have been moments where I have felt my dear ones watching over me.

I am certain that your Grandfather will be with you, watching over you and your family on this special holiday. I will have all of you in my thoughts on Thanksgiving.

As for the cooking, you will do awesome Liz! Everything you touch is awesome!!

The Dad said...

Stop making my Sissy gland activate.

Ben and Raquel said...

LIZ!! I was so happy to find your's and your sister's blogs on Marikos page! I really miss the whole Grover clan...and I'm so sad I haven't seen/talked to any of you in so long! I really miss Papaw...he was the sweetest, funniest, warmest man I've ever met! Have a good Thanksgiving!!!

Carol Beck said...

i didnt know your grandfather very but he seemed like a special man what i did know of him! he had that kind of spirit about him.
im sorry i missed your cookie exchange! i was planning to come too! it really sounded like fun but i got a chance to see my grandchildren! you know how grandmothers are! i really appreciate yall inviting me though! remember me next time you are doing something fun! tell your mom what i said too!

Carol Beck said...

dont you go to the book club? tell me about it and who comes and where it is and stuff.

Sarah said...

Did you forget how to change your background perchance? LIZ!