Liz's Biz-nis

The Biz-nis of Life

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Love Junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. I love junk. I don't keep alot of junk around, at least I don't think I do, but I love thrift stores. I love estate, rummage, yard and garage sales. (I think they are all the same thing) I can't even help it. What is the fun of going to a store where there is ten of everything and you just find your size/color and purchase it? Have you ever felt the joy of digging through mounds of dusty, stinky castoffs to find that perfect pair of shoes and you turn them over and there on the sole is the most beautiful sight you have ever seen? No, next to the wad of gum. It's that large but beautiful number 10 1/2! They're my size! And then, in magic marker is scribbled a 3-. Three dollars! Three dollars! These shoes are size 10 1/2 and they are three dollars! But wait, that isn't the best part. We're not even to the climax yet! Now, I take them to the counter. The grumpy old lady who never wants to negotiate is in a good mood today! I ask my standard question, "Is that the best you can do?" (Always at least ask. All they can say is no.) And she thinks. She furrows her brow and says in an annoyed voice, "Well, I guess I can give em' to ya for $2.50." Joy! Sheer thrill. It's like a high! Now, I add them to my three dollar shoe collection and on Sunday, when someone says, "I love your cute shoes, where did you get them?" I say, "At the thrift store for $2.50!" Now that is the climax. And Jared hates that whole scenario. He calls me a bag lady. He grew up with ten kids in his family and all clothes were from the D.I. So he's got "issues". Dream smasher.

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

Junk is too much work.

Shel said...

More power to ya', girlfriend! I think it's awesome! Nothing feels better than that great "find"! You would've loved my part-time job I had in Midland. Oh it was perfect and I miss it for the fact that I found so many great "finds". A sister in our ward had a business where she did Estate sales and I worked for her. We went in and literally got to rumage through the sale FIRST and I got 5o% off before the sale AND if something was left afterward I might of got it FREE! Yep, FREE... man, that was the best! Plus I got paid hourly, pretty awesome, huh! It did kind of drive James nuts since I was constantly coming home with "stuff".

p.s.
speaking of garage sales... if anyone is up to one, I really need to have one, but can't in my neighborhood (only twice a year) and would love to get together with someone on one :)

Tammy said...

You remind me of my sister...she always looks like a million bucks and everything is from thrift stores or garage sell. Tell Shelly I'm having a garage sell the 1st weekend in Dec.

Sarah said...

Shelley, you must not know who you are talking to. Liz is ALWAYS having a garage sale. She has one scheduled for practically every weekend of the year. Then on Monday she will say, "Well, I didn't have my garage sale this weekend." I have my "surprised" face down to an art form.

Natalee said...

Liz you are preaching to the choir. I'm telling you one of these days we will be so addicted to junk we will become freegans.

Melanie said...

I'm kind of jealous - I don't have the thrift talent but I wish I did because the few times I've felt that high of getting a great deal, I've loved it. Maybe I'll hit a thrift store this weekend to see what I can find. I'd say Jared should be happy you are spending 2.50 on shoes rather than $250 regardless of where you find them!!

Laura said...

I can never find anything good when I go to thrift stores. I think it is a "special talent" some people are born with. Alas, I was born to pay full or sale price at retail stores!

Court said...

My thoughts exactly!!! Anyone can look fantastic if they go to Ann Taylor Loft with $500 for 2 outfits. Real style is having the gusto to pull off thrift store finds and make it look effortless. Unfortunately, most thrift stores/garage sales I visit neither have, nor do they price at $3, 1 size 11 and 1 size 12 shoe. Insert laughter for my pathetic feet here.

kimberly said...

Is it wrong that I despise thrift stores? I have some friends who absolutely love them and try to get me to appreciate the absurdity of thrift store shopping, but it never works. Secretly, I think I must be a huge snob on the inside. SIGH. (Not really true, since I have a lot of shirts from Target and really good sales at outlet malls.)

jamie said...

i love it. i need to learn from your frugal tricks!

Lori Hurst said...

I also don't get thrift store. I am more of a buy it online type of gal.

Jennifer said...

I hate the thrift store. And here's the secret that makes it work for you: you have to go ALL THE TIME to find stuff.

Oh, I should say now that I hate ALL sorts of shopping. Except probably book shopping. And candy shopping.

Natalee said...

All of my nicest things come from thrift stores and garage sales. My Le creuset pots and pans, my serger, my antique franciscan ware, my sewing machine, pasta maker, antique cedar chest, etc. etc. You need to have a list of what you are looking for and only buy those items otherwise you do bring home lots of junk.

Leslie said...

I wear a 10 1/2 too!!! I have been a 10 for YEARS and recently (after Hyrum's birth) my feet grew (or flattened out longer or something weird). What a deal to find 10 1/2 anywhere! Let alone for $3. Will you share with me? I am a junk junkie too! But I have NEVER found shoes in my size that were cute.