Liz's Biz-nis

The Biz-nis of Life

Monday, November 3, 2008

J-Dawg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so here's Jared a.k.a J-Dawg. I needed to wait till' I was in just the right place to blog about him. Not too irritated (that would be mean) and not too in love (that would be annoying). He is not the guy I should have married. With the life I was livin' in 1997 I should be stuck with a chain-smokin', tatooed shmuck named Mo. But the Lord somehow saw fit to show me mercy (that would be due to my mother's prayers, I'm sure) and I happened to end up with a dirty little farm-boy from Rigby--a very nice one (but still very dirty).

When I decided I was going to marry him (two weeks.......okay days) after meeting him I wasn't quite sure why I was drawn to him. Most things about him were very strange to me. He took me on five dates before he ever drove the same car twice! (What is it with farm folk and their multiple hooptys?) His favorite radio station was scan. You heard me. He left the radio on the scan option and listened to 3 seconds of every station for all of the time spent in the car. He brought me a treat every time he came to see me. Half eaten boxes of milk duds, Andes mints he stole from his sister's stocking basically anything he found laying around his house before walking out the door to pick me up! Nothing about this guy was like anyone I'd ever met before! And strangely, I liked it!

Well, on the roller coaster of mental illness, the change that was Rick's college sent me down the part of the ride where you plummet at 90mph toward impending doom! Or so it felt. I was far from home and family, despised by my roommates (I'm sure they had good reason!) and sinking into a deep depression. I met him at the first dance of the year and we were inseparable ever since. A month after trying Ricks college on for size I wound up in the hospital extremely ill. And there at the hospital with a can of soup off his momma's pantry shelf and a poem he had written on a scrap piece of wood from work, was Jared. My spud-house worker in dusty hard hat. (That's a knight in shining armor Idaho-style!) The rest is history.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

I loved this. It was sweet, realistic and very, very endearing. Even though I know your months in Idaho weren't the greatest, I'm glad you ended up with Jared.

Alison said...

I've always wondered how you guys met! And I think this post was perfect (not too lovey-dovey or mean).

Dixiechick said...

The weird thing about this is I actually have vague memories of this time. I think you and Jared came by our apartment once or twice. I was actually wondering if that was the guy that you married. So interesting to hear the story now.

Court said...

That Jared is one hard-working, friendly guy. Props to J-Pab for keepin' it real. I'm glad y'all caught each other because you two are HI-LARE together and compliment each other perfectly.