
I woke up Sunday morning to a visitor. Not depression, but her annoying sibling, Angina. That's what I'm nicknaming her. She is that monthly pest who brings with her cramps, cravings and a pissy mood. I used my last cigarette (see below*) to smoke but knew it would only hold me over for a couple of hours. The first two days Angina is here I almost have to chain smoke.
So I go to church. Make huge efforts to listen and learn. Teach my class on the fly b/c my team teacher forgot it was her turn, and then, it all went South.
Angina got very demanding! I was past the need for another cigarette, I had cramps beyond my ability to cope with (my too-tight slimmer wasn't helping matters) and I was STARVING! I should have said a prayer and just made it a fast because I knew I had NO and I mean NO groceries in my house. After Spring break and a trip out of town we were down to hot chocolate and Ramen.
So here's what I did. Went home. Went potty. Drove to Jen's. She had no cigarettes but I did find Midol so I took two. I drove to Sonic, ordered a breakfast taco and large Coke. Scarfed it. Drove straight to Shipley's. I asked him what kind of cake donuts they had.
Now this Shipley's guy and I are buddies. We see each other 2-3 times a week. He hooks me up with all the inside info. And so, on this particular Sunday, he said some of the sweetest words that I have ever heard. He said (add a Spanish accent) "Mam, perhaps you should try our buttermilk cake donut with glaze."
UM......................WHAT? That sounds amazing!
I cannot order fast enough! Give me two of these delectable treats!
He did.
And let me just tell you. Well, actually, words cannot describe.
This donut was so amazing. It was the moistest, lightest texture. It was fluffy and yet dense. It was perfectly glazed, not too heavy, not too light. I could not inhale it fast enough. I ran out of time to eat the other. I had to drive back to church and get my family. And so I did. I hid the remnants of my spoils, of course.
But once home, I made a B-line for my bedroom, locked the door, and began to savor my second buttermilk donut. Just then, Jared knocked. "What are ya' doing"? Why is the door locked?" I'm chewing like crazy, trying to clear my throat to answer, "Nothing!"
I let him in. I show him the donut. There's no hiding anything from Jared. Now there is about two bites left of this donut. And Jared doesn't even like donuts all that much. But he asked me for a bite! How could he? I only had two bites left! I could barely stand the thought of parting with even one of my last two bites! I broke off the tiniest of pieces, a gesture that did not go unnoticed by him, and reluctantly handed it over. His big eyeballs lit up. His exact words were, "That is a damn good donut!"
"I know!" I responded and quickly crammed the last bite into my mouth.
So needless to say I have thought of almost nothing else since. I'm dreaming in donut. Yesterday I was on the go all day and resisted the temptation, but today was all I could stand. So I asked Sarah to pick me up a large amount of buttermilk cake donuts with glaze and bring them by. She brought, not the donuts, but news that they only serve such donuts on the weekend. WHAT!?!?!?!? I have never even heard of this practice! In all my years of serious donut consumption how could I have never known that this was practiced?!? I pondered this travesty while I ate my second-rate chocolate donuts Sarah was nice enough to bring.
So there you have it. Due to my blatant disregard for the Sabbath, I am now addicted to something that I can barely, rarely have. I know I can stock up on Saturdays, but lets face it, fresh donuts are distinctly different from their day-old counterparts. Keeping the Sabbath in mind, I truly have only one day a week that I can get my fix. Some of you may view this as a positive thing but I view it as nothing short of a tragedy. And just think, if I had never broken the Sabbath I would never have known these donuts existed. I guess I got what I deserved. And I have no one to blame but myself.
*Early on in our marriage Jared nicknamed tampons cigarettes and refers to my period as when I need to smoke. I know, weird and gross. But it is convenient. He'll go to the store and I'll say,"Pick me up some cigarettes!" And he'll say "Virginia Slims or regulars?"
26 comments:
Oh my word, Liz, thank you for the much needed laugh during my radiation isolation. I will probably read that post over and over. Too, too funny. (Oh and sorry about the whole only-buttermilk-donuts-on-weekend-thing...true bummer.)
I told you they have them on Fri, Sat & Sun. You have 2 days a week to enjoy those donuts. I'm pretty sure your weekend garage sale obsession has been replaced.
I don't know if you saw me but I totally passed you coming down the street from Shipleys (of course I didn't know that's where you had been) & now that I think of it, you were chowing down on somethin. Must have been that donut. I did wonder why you were driving down Lewisville at about 2:10. Awesome-- Donuts are so good. When they hung that shipley's sign last year all I had to say was "Shit. I'm in trouble."
As a good friend, I vow to support you in your new donut addiction. I will do my part in enabling you by contacting donut shops in the area to potentially find one that makes the buttermilk donuts on weekdays (or I will buy/steal the recipe so that I can make them for you). I do not however support you in sabbath day breaking. Did you know that I had all the fixings for your sonic meal right in my pantry? Seriously Liz!You know it is my JOY to cook for others. Apparently I keep inviting the wrong people over (you know who you are) because no one will come over for dinner! Next time that you are tempted to break the sabbath, talk to me and I can hook you up! I have a rockin' food storage program. Meat, ice cream, meat...oh and some veggies! We will work it out. In the meantime, I plan to google your donuts and find the recipe. Have a nice day! BTW, only three days till Friday!
BUTTERMILK CAKE DONUTS BAKERY
CREAM:SUGAR-3 LB 6 OZ SWEETEX-12 OZ NUTMEG-1/2 OZ SALT-2 ½ OZ. LEMON EMULSION_1 ½ OZ VANILLA-1 OZ. ADD:YOLKS-1 LB 10 OZ ADD:BUTTERMILK-5 LBS 6 OZ. SIFT/ADD:CAKE FLOUR-5 LB BREAD FLOUR-5 LB BAKING POWDER-6 OZ. MIX KEEP COLD.
Where do you suppose I can buy 5 lbs of baking powder???? HA! I'll keep looking!
I can understand a donut addiction. I don't have one myself, but I have enough bad food addictions that I can understand how you feel when you can't feed that addiction. I live close to that Shipleys. Call me if you ever need me to bring you a fix. (Not on Sunday though.)
Also, you and Jared truly have a unique relationship. Tampons = cigarettes??
I found it! Go to the following blog to reference it:
http://pie-o-my.blogspot.com/2008/12/buttermilk-cake-doughnuts.html
(SeRiOsLy, Gonna make em for you!)
Buttermilk Cake Doughnuts
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup buttermilk
3 Tbsp butter, melted
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground mace
Vegetable oil for frying
Confectioners sugar and cinnamon sugar for dusting doughnuts
(I cut this recipe in half from the quantities listed above as two dozen doughnuts seemed a bit excessive for the two of us. (Though Homer and The Husband would argue this point, it worked fine.)
Whisk the eggs until light and lemony in color. Gradually add the sugar, whisking constantly until mix is thick and ribbony.
Stir in the buttermilk and melted butter. Add the sifted dry ingredients into the egg mixture and stir until combined. IMPORTANT: Do not overwork the dough. Let the dough rest in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
Pour oil to the depth of 2-3 inches into a large heavy pot. Heat it to 375 degrees. While oil is heating roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut doughnuts out with a doughnut cutter or a biscuit cutter. Fry the doughnuts in small batches until golden brown. Turn once after 1 1/2 minutes per side. Use a slotted spoon to take them out and drain on paper towels. Check the oil before putting in new batches to ensure it is at correct temperature. Dust the doughnuts while still warm. Makes approximately 2 dozen doughnuts and doughnut holes.
Wow, Leslie is a problem-solver! She found that recipe within a few hours. You and Jared kill me! Chain Smoking! I love that you use SMOKING as a euphemism for Aunt Flo. You and your sisters are WAY too funny.
I was just cleaning out my magazine bin. On the front page of a copy of "Mormon Times" was an article about the foods Brigham Young used to eat - including a recipe for Buttermilk Doughnuts! Let me know if you would like a copy.
This is so amazing! What great friends I have! Leslie, you are amazing. Laura, I will be calling you for sure for this fix. And you can just pass that Brigham Yound recipe over to Leslie since I have no intention of slaving over a vat of oil to feed my addiction!
Oh, and Alisha. I'm so glad it was you I passed on Sund. I saw someone waving at me as I was scarfing and I was trying like heck to think of who it was and if they were in the bishopbric. So glad it was you and your non-judgemental self.
Not that anyone in the bishopbric is judgemental.
Alisha said shit! I love life!
And I do so have cigarettes. They are next to the ashtray.
Perhaps you were following the prophet Brigham when you ate buttermilk donuts? No. Repent you foul infidel. I can't believe you broke the Sabbath. All I did was drop an f-bomb. (ok, three).
If you only knew how hard I am laughing... Glad it was me too Liz!
Oh I say shit all of the time. Just ask Sam. And Damn. And Hell. But those 3 words are my limits. f-bomb? JENNIFER LYNN GROVER RUGGLES (Is your middle name even Lynn?) I am appalled!
Oh my gosh! Buttermilk donuts!!! That sounds so amazing. I want some right now. Now I am going to have to try and make them and I can't bake. You know we don't have a Shipley's here. I am in big trouble.
My middle name is Lee like every other Jennifer in my generation. Sarah's is Lynn. And I don't believe she is in the habit of dropping the bomb. Hell and damn don't count as cusses. They are basically like crap - you say it in real life but not over the pulpit.
Lee-- I knew THAT. So sorry! Well anyhow, you get the point. Thanks for giving me the pass on hell & damn. That's exactly how I feel about them. Ok, I think I've exceeded my comment quota on this post.
This is hysterical! Thanks for making me laugh (and not feel so guilty for blogging the word 'shit' four times).
Haha Liz I absolutely LOVE you! I hope that your little friend leaves soon because I know when she visits me, I am a complete mess. I pretty much eat everything in the house. Or crave everything that isn't in my house!
And if you ever want me to whip up some donuts, give me a heads up. I live a little closer than Leslie does. :P Sorry Leslie.
It was great to see you at the store today!
Wow, this was the best entertainment EVER!!!! I have had major competition with my computer and and the kids, so I'm very behind on my blog reading and commenting. I wish I only had a problem with wanting food during my ciggarette needing time of the month... I tend to just totally lose my mind and go ballistic on my family (usually the kids and mostly Em, I think it's the female hormone raging thing and the boys just know how to steer clear :( Maybe I should try Buttermilk donuts as a rememdy. Give me a call and I will gladly buy enough to endulge with you my friend :)
I see a buttermilk donut party in all of our futures! I will host. Who's game?
Leslie does seriously love to cook for people. She's like the most nurturing nurturer I've ever met.
And Melanie, I don't know you, but best wishes to you during your radiation. Keep on keepin' on.
P.S. We go by the Shipley's on a regular basis after school. I pull up in my truck and I say to the man--"Give us our regular, please." He busts out 1 dozen donut holes and 2 cake donuts with chocolate icing. That's how we roll.
Leslie! No one comes over for dinner? I need an invite. If Jen doesn't feel like leaving the house, I'll eat her share too.
in college i used to buy these out-of-control yummy bread sticks from the local pizza place and do the same thing...lock myself in my room and scarf them before any of my roommates knew i had bought them. glad you found an irresistable treat...or not!
Okay, a couple of things. 1. I kept getting worried that you were bleeding all over the place because you never got a "cigarette". (at least you didn't mention it in the story) 2. I kept thinking you were going to the grocery store to get "cigarettes". 3. I LOVE that you went to get donuts instead. 4. I'm totally jealous that you would do something like that. I'm so, how do I say it, ridiculously Type A, that I would never do something so outside of the box. I wish I could sometimes. 5. This whole post was freakin' hilarious. And last of all, I would like to come to Texas and be friends with you and your swearing friends.
Hang in there, Liz. Only 4 more days until Friday.
And Dixiechick--there's always room for one more in TX!
Post a Comment