Liz's Biz-nis

The Biz-nis of Life

Friday, October 24, 2008

"I can explain!!!!!"

Okay, so I guess my last post was a departure for me and I gave no explanation for the PG-13 images. It's never fun to be on the outside of an inside joke so forgive me. I was simultaneously laughing at and crying for myself because of a choice experience I had. I wont share all the sordid details because trust me, you don't want to know. (And if you decide you really want to know, ask me and I'll tell you in person.)
In my quest to live a whole and happy life I tend to be stuck in a cycle. It goes like this:
1)Struggle, struggle, struggle with real feelings of anxiety and obsessive-compulsiveness.
2)Realize I'm like a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest trying to handle it on my own.
3)Seek help from a licensed professional.
4)Start taking meds.
5)Start experiencing difficult side-effects from the meds.
6)Begin wondering if the way I was living is better or worse than the side effects that are now becoming almost unbearable.
7)Go off the meds.
8)Begin again.
Okay, so that's the cycle. Only this time I did something different. With a shred of hope and a lot of prayer I stopped at step 6 and did not allow myself to go to step 7. And let me just say that side-effects are one thing, but having an actual BAD and I mean BAD reaction to a drug is a whole nutha ball game! I was insane! I cannot even begin to make you understand! The meds I was on were making me nuts! And every time I'd call the psych. to move my next appt up they were unable. (I know! Don't they know they're dealing with crazy people! Make it happen!)
So, I just kept swallowing the very thing I knew was making me crazy, morning after morning. But somewhere deep down in my spirit (not easy to tap into when you're dealing with a deranged brain!) I knew this was all part of the Lord's plan to get me well.
So, one night I had a massive meltdown. I threw (and I mean, hurled!) an Ensign magazine (of all things! It may as well have been a book about eternal marriage!) at my poor unsuspecting husband. I got in my car and I began to drive and SCREAM! I know much better than to scream AT the Lord but I knew he could hear me, and it was all for him. "I cannot do this! What is the freakin' problem! Am I really asking for that much? All I want is to have a fighting chance! I'm not asking for fancy, just NORMAL! I'm not trying to rule the world, just be a half-decent wife and mother and maybe along the way glean a little joy from it! I don't understand why I cannot catch a break! I guess I'm not worth helping! Maybe this is as good as it gets for me! Maybe that's as much as I deserve! So ya know what? I quit! I totally quit! If I'm working twice as hard to make good choices and I don't even get to feel joy then I'm done! Maybe the other things aren't right but at least they bring some temporary relief! I mean, if I don't get to feel happiness either way, at least I can feel some relief!* (the hatchet picture does not apply to this part of the scenario. Neither do the pullups or cupcake)
So I am driving around at 1:30 a.m., shrieking, tears streaming, eyes bulging and neck veins pulsating like the Hulk. I am feeling like about the lowest most worthless creature the Lord ever bothered giving a body to. Meanwhile, my rant has taken me from my own jipped existence to the perfect lives of everyone around me (but it's still all about me, I'm sure you got that). So I'm screaming about the ease I see in the lives of those around me. I'm siting specific examples of whose got what I ain't got and now I'm really cookin'! I've got a full-blown pity party goin' and no one is invited but me! That way no one can talk any sense into me and take away my fun! So I finish it all off by directing only one comment upward. "Lord, why don't you just throw a few more sprinkles on everyone elses' cupcake for me!"
With that, I returned home, snuck into my sleeping house, wished I had some good drugs for my headache!--and went to sleep!
Well, so that's not the end of this story. The final step in the vicious, previously-mentioned cycle is not: Have a nervous breakdown, put on a straight-jacket and live unhappily ever after!
I returned to the doc and relayed all of the insanity to him. My bad reaction to the one medication helped tell him a lot more about what I really should be taking. He immediately took me off the crazy juice and prescribed me some totally different stuff which I am currently taking. It will, of course, take time to get everything streamlined (right dose, right time of day, etc. etc.)but it is already getting better. And I know without a doubt that the Hulk stuff was necessary to lead me to a more complete and proper diagnosis than I have ever been able to obtain in all my past attempts to get relief. Oh and get this! My new meds cost $32 and the other ones were like $200!
It's so funny how the Lord works. While I was screaming about how there were no sprinkles on my cupcake, he was busy building me a bakery! Yeah, I feel humbled. God is good. He is really good.




*If Bishop Jones comes-a-knockin' at my door, this blog will become invite only! I ain't even playin'!

10 comments:

Court said...

Go ahead and put me on your invite list. :)

Jennifer said...

Uh oh. I'm about at the quitting step. Someone licked the sprinkles off my cupcake.

Sarah said...

No one likes an I told you so-er so I will refrain.

Natalee said...

Oh Liz I wish I was there to help you out. I not sure how much a help I would actually be though. I am so sorry you've been having so many struggles. Sometimes things are at their worst and you think the Lord has turned his back and it turns out the Lord was actually using that experience to put you on the right path and you would never have found it otherwise. Those experiences teach you a lot but they still suck. You are so strong. you are such an inspiration to others. That could be one reason you have had to face these challenges. You have helped so many with all the wisdom and insight you've gained by having to deal with mental illness (our family included). Hang in there and know we love you.

Melanie said...

I love you, Liz. You know what? I feel really badly that I've been a horrible friend. That I've been living my own life with my own "things" and not knowing what you are dealing with and at least talk about it. I'm sorry. But I am glad that the Hulk situation turned out into new meds. I know how it goes to try to get "regulated" on medication and it isn't fun. I'll wish you speedy resolution. And I promise to be a better friend.

Natalee said...

Isn't Natalee the most mentally well person you've ever met? Seriously! Just look at her comments. She's also so wise, so sweet and Christ-like... Hope you get to feeling better soon. We love you!

Gary

Shel said...

You are so right Girlfriend, He is good and you are awesome... I'm glad things are looking up! You know how I told you about the whole door slamming inward thingy, well I didn't get a chance to tell you about how at least it was a magazine you hurled.. I chucked a hardbound book one time across the room without even a thought of who was in the line of fire and again there are no side effects to blame here. I hate the horrid guilt I carry after such meltdowns.. I'm grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who is so forgiving, but sheesh, I've got to figure out something....

take care....
Shelley

Leslie said...

Hope you don't mind me droppin' in on your blog. I love reading about you...the real ugly, dirty, wonderful and human...Liz. My favorite parts in this blog were your Hulk Veins and the Bishop Jones threat! Is it okay for me to find a bit of humor in the pain? Glad you made it to the other side! I love you...I do!

Laurie said...

you are such a great friend. i've missed you and glad you are better.

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.