Liz's Biz-nis

The Biz-nis of Life

Monday, October 20, 2008

The French-Fry guy

Meet Harris Benjamin Pabst. Sometimes we call him Harry-B, but he would like to go down in history as the French Fry guy. He loves loves loves all things super hero but more than that he loves fried potatoes in all their many forms. He is absolutely obsessed with tator tots, hashbrowns, and most of all french fries. So much so that my mom created a book for him in which he gets to be a tator-tot shooting hero known as the French-Fry guy! But his real-life hero is my younger brother Jon. Harris wants to be just like him in every way. He's off to a great start too because he is totally into television, video games, eating his favorite foods and always sounding sarcastic and/or (sorry Jon!) irritated. We have to constantly talk about using a "nice, soft" way to talk to others because he is generally annoyed with anyone approaching him with anything but a french fry. His real-life super power is asking questions. He can (and does!) ask the same question a thousand different ways all the while applying his keen powers of persistence to wear you down and get what he wants. One time, he got a couple of dollars from his Papaw with which to buy some French fries for his birthday. He immediately began asking me,"When can we go get french fries? Can we get some french fries now? How many more minutes til' we go get french fries?" Frustrated I said, "Harris, do not ask me about those french fries one more time!" A few minutes later he approached, asking if he could tell me a joke. Here's the joke. Knock, knock. Whose there? Can we go get some french fries?
Harris was born with spina bifida (a hole in his spinal cord) and so he has required and will continue to require lots of what I call "medical maintenance"". He has had 8 surgeries in his short life (only 4 were more than outpatient procedures) the most recent being the most remarkable. He had an eight hour surgery last November to allow him to catheterize himself through his belly button (crazy-I know!) and clean out his bowel each night so now he can stay clean and dry throughout the day. Children with spina bifida always have major issues with bladder/bowel because the nerves on the spine that control this function are damaged and they can't feel what we feel. He has done well with this surgery-- a big part of our ongoing movement toward independence. He wears AFO braces on his legs but walks really well even without them and he has a VP shunt (small catheter-like drain inserted in his brain ventricle beneath his skull) to drain fluid off his brain. Sorry to give you lots of medical mumbo jumbo but it's hard to explain Harris without explaining Spina Bifida. It by no means defines him but it affects most aspects of his life. Having him in our family stretches us and teaches us on a daily basis and we feel blessed to have this "super"-hero in our midst!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Moms for French Fry Guys!!!

I love your post, and love your red-headed menace. He is truly courageous and determined (read stubborn.)

Ash Kelley said...

i remember meeting all you guys for the first time and Harris just looked at me didn't say a word. And as we were leaving i was tired, sick (3 months pregnant) and uncomfortable (out of my element, meeting all my inlaws, even though you guys are all awesome, might i add) and Harris came out on the lawn and i said "bye, harris, it was really nice to meet you" and he whispers something. I couldn't hear it so I stepped closer and he said it again, with his arms out said "give me a hug" in a deep little voice. and i gave him a hug and he blew me a kiss. and grinned and then he ran back into the house. That made me feel soo much better. I didn't even mind the horrible car-sick ride home. just wanted to share that with you. you have amazing kids.

Natalee said...

"Can I have a corndog? Can I have a corn dog? Sister Bradshaw, Can I have a corndog?" He would always ask me that question when I was watching him. Unfortunately I usually didn't. Poor guy. I did have transformers and that seemed to help a lot.

Alisha said...

Awww, I love love LOVE Harris. Nothing warms my heart my than, "Hi Sista Oldwoyd"

Natalee said...

Congrats on your great find. Liz I found a pasta machine for two dollars. It's the kind where you dump all the indredients in and it mixes it all together and pushes the dough through a mold to form pasta. It is awesome. I bought it from a thrift store. The cashier just stared at it and said "What is that thing?" Yea for being cheap.

Lori Hurst said...

You get 'mom of the year award'. It goes without saying the things you do for your little ones.

marianne said...

I didn't realize that Harris and I have something MAJOR in common...I LOVE FRIES TOO! There I said it - I'm also addicted. In fact today after finals to reward myself I stopped by Pappas BBQ for a large DC and some fries, my current favorite fry stop...
Love your blog - hope you don't mind me reading it!

mom said...

I'm crying and smiling. Harris adds so much to this world and this world will require so much of him.