Okay. I really need honest feedback. I just got back from a Mary Kay "facial". The translation--a full on bamboozling. I know everyone and their pup knows this. But there's this sweet old lady from the gym that I just couldn't say no to one more time. Lesson learned.
Mary Kay Talk:
"I see you have quite a bit of puffiness and discoloration in you undereye area (repeated three times).
Translation:
You better buy this undereye cream, and specialized undereye serum right away. It will cost you a mere $50.00. You'll never suspect it's just moiusturizer in a fancy tube with a confusing name that makes you think it has special powers.
Mary Kay Talk:
We are so glad Liz is here tonight. We'd like to invite her up to tell a little about herself.
Translation:
Liz, will you please come up here and share personal information that we will analyze in order to find an "in" to guilt or trick you into selling Mary Kay?
Mary Kay Talk:
We just wanna know one thing, Do you realy wanna pay full price for your products tonight?
Translation:
If you want to get a discount on your products tonight then you have to join Mary Kay. Thats the only way each one of us here tonight can get a little richer everytime you push yourself on your friends and capitalize on their inability to say the word no.
All I wanna know is. Does my makeup really look that much better than when I do it with my non-Mary Kay products? Be honest.
Hope I didn't insult anyone, but I'm so over businesses that make their money off putting people in uncomfortable situations. I'm proud to report that I left without buying a single thing. But, my old lady friend Mary is expecting to call me in a couple weeks for a follow-up facial. Who the hell needs a follow-up to a facial?
Follow-up facial=bamboozle attempt #2
no=no I'm ready to get ugly!
16 comments:
Honestly= you look gorgeous, like usual.. I don't think it would be necessary for you to ONLY use Mary Kay product to look gorgeous, though, since you look gorgeous all the time! I do like Mary Kay (I used to be a consultant myself), but I have a hard time being faithful to just one brand. I do have my faves in some things, but I like to try others. I think home-based businesses can be successful, but you are right about the pressure sales crap... it can be icky at times.
You look absolutely stunning, but to be honest? It is your smile - everything else looks the same (ok except for the time you had the 'Nick Nolte Look'
I like buying make up, but don't want people to pressure me and I have finally found the perfect pieces for me. I just mail order from Neiman Marcus or wherever and don't have to worry about it anymore - no sales ladies even at the counters!
You did good Liz. Don't walk away mad. Just walk away....You made real progress today. Be proud of yourself.
All I can say is that you look the same as you did the last time I saw you, which was about 8 years ago (I think!). So whatever you are doing, it's working!
What are ya'll talking about? Liz, you look crazy in that picture. Why are your neck muscles popping out like that? You almost look like in the movies when a person is looking through a peephole. No es bueno.
oh Sarah. I love you. Sisters are great.
Way to go on not buying anything. I struggle there too-- I want to support friends but it gets a little ridiculous. Do I hate Mary Kay? No. Do I hate Pampered Chef? No. Do I hate Beauty Control? No. I just don't have the money to buy all the stuff, the desire to sell it, nor the drive it would take to earn the money by selling it so I can buy it.
Way to stay strong Liz.
liz.... seriously. you are asking US about make-up? we all know that you know the answer. you are the make-up guru. and to be honest... if you ever did want to become a mary-kay consultant, you would ROCK at it! you could sell me a piece of crap wrapped in a paper bag. give it a theme, and i'm all about it.
You look beautiful. Was it Mary Kay? No. I really can't see a difference from how you usually look, which shows you have natural beauty.
You know you always look great. I've been to a few Mary Kay facials in my lifetime and know all about the pressure. Way to stand strong - I always left a little bit poorer, but thank goodness I hardly even wear make up so they never pressured too hard on me becoming a consultant. They knew it was futile.
Hahah, I avoid those like the plague!! I couldn't sell Mary Kay if the livelihood of my kids depended on it. We would be in the food stamp line!
Good for you standing strong. I have never made it out of one of those "in the home parties" without buying something. My guilt trigger is too soft I guess...
:-)
Bridget
I personally think you look just as gorgeous as you always do. Just say no to all that mumbo jumbo. :)
I can't tell about your face - I can't take my eyes off your lips. Wait, is that... COLOR on them? Uh, what in the thuh...
You're like Natalee. You look great without makeup. Your natural color is best. Don't give in to pushy sales-people. There is little more on this earth that I hate than people who try to push me into something! Stand up to the Mary Kay conglomerate!!!
Gary
yeah no go on Mary Kay. I'm anti crap like that. so more power to the NO.
You go girl. You look beautiful as always. You came out of that Mary Kay makeover looking a lot better than I do. By the time I'm done I look like I am getting ready to go to clown school. Seriously no one would look at you and think "She looks great, she must be wearing Mary Kay." You are the make up Guru. Your makeup always looks great.
Also I'm really glad things are looking up.
i don't know, but i'll admit that i actually prefer mary kay's foundation to any other brand i've tried. but you're right, their business model is silliness.
Post a Comment